Why, How, What?
Bricklane is on a mission to make property investment accessible to everyone — helping people invest from as little as £100, all the way up to £100 million+.
Using a revolutionary data-driven approach, we’ve created a simple, hassle-free way for people to invest in the residential property market.
Backed by the likes of Zoopla and LocalGlobe, we’ve assembled a smart, highly collaborative team from the worlds of tech, property and finance. By raising the bar in property investment, we are committed to fixing issues in the rental market for investors and tenants alike by providing high quality homes in which people aspire to live.
We’re looking for a full stack developer to join our Product Team, helping to drive our growth through technology.
What you will be working on
Our investment platform, Compass, is a crucial part of how Bricklane scales and makes decisions intelligently. This bespoke system has been developed in-house since 2016, and is integral to the daily work of our operations and research teams.
The Product Team focuses on delivering features and using technology that will make the biggest impact to the business — whether that is implementing machine learning models or building sophisticated map-based user interfaces. Using our unique internal datasets, we’re often building functionality to make automated investment decisions thousands of times a day.
- We use Python extensively, performing well for building complicated financial calculations, data processing, and scalable web stacks.
- For richer UIs, we use React and Typescript.
- Database of choice is Postgres (with PostGIS for geocoded data support)
- Our infrastructure is deployed entirely on AWS
- We use Docker from our development environments all the way to production.
- We automate any process we have to do more than once, and ship code as often as needed using Jenkins and Cloudformation.
- For processing larger datasets, we make full use of AWS data services (such as AWS Athena).
- We like well tested, maintainable code, with the usual tools to help to support this – Python unittest, jest, tslint, flake8, Cypress.io.
The whole company adopts an iterative approach, we work in short sprints, with daily stand-ups, regular planning sessions and fortnightly retrospectives.
What we’re looking for
- Enthusiastic engineer with 4+ years working on web-based projects
- Professional experience in a modern server-side language — if you don’t know Python, we’ll help you learn. Strong software principles are key (SOLID, DRY, and so on)
- You’re effective both working independently and collaborating in a team, delivering new functionality from concept to production ready
- You will be comfortable working with cloud infrastructure, both confident to make changes and investigate when problems arise
- You have experience working with datasets larger than 100k entries, can query a database with SQL, and have minimal understand of query optimisation
- You find test driven development is a useful approach to solving problems
- You are always looking for ways to improve, whether it’s refactoring a function, optimising our processes, or learning new skills
Benefits of working with us
- Flexibility: current Covid-19 circumstances aside, we love working from our brand new office in Old Street. That said, we support partial remote working, if that's best for you.
- Personal development: we support you with training opportunities to help you grow.
- Holiday: 25 days annual leave + 1 extra day around Christmas (our present to you).
- Health: we offer Vitality healthcare to support your health and wellbeing, with discounts for gym membership, activewear, sports equipment, and cinema tickets.
- Pension: you’ll be covered for later life with our pension plan.
Our hiring process
- You apply for the role, completing a form so we can find out more about you.
- For applications that progress, we arrange a 20 min call to discuss the role and your experience further.
- Following this, we ask you to complete our take-home exercise. This should take 1 hour, with a follow-up discussion afterwards.
- The final stage combines a pairing session, where we spend 40 mins working together on a small problem, with an interview to understand more about your experience and motivation.
No recruiters, thanks — we’re happy with our current recruitment partners.